Thursday, April 09, 2009

A Good Book



I love to read but to be honest most of the books I read are just entertaining stories, and usually fiction. My friend Cassidy let me borrow her copy of I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson which is nothing like the books I habitually read. To my suprise and delight I loved it! I felt inspired and uplifted. Jane Clayson Johnson was once a successful fulltime career woman that put things on hold for having a family of her own. According to Jane we mothers should never reply, "I am just a stay at home mother" when asked what we do for a living. She talks about the importance of the calling of motherhood and often quotes general authorities to illustrate the point. Two of my favorites included are:
"She who can paint a masterpiece or write a book that will influence millions deserves the admiration and the plaudits of mankind; but she who rears successfully a family of healthy, beautiful sons and daughters, whose influence will be felt through generations to come, . . . long after the paintings shall have faded, and books and statues shall have decayed or shall have been destroyed, deserves the highest honor that man can give, and the choicest blessings of God. In her high duty and service to humanity. . . , she is copartner with the Creator himself."
-President David O. McKay

"To do well those things which God ordainded to be the common lot of all man-kind, is the truest greatness. To be a successful father or a successful mother is greater than to be a successful general or a sucessful statesman." President Joseph F. Smith

It was a great and quick read and will lift a discouraged heart if you need it. You will feel a new drive and may even have a new outlook on mothering.

6 comments:

Kelli Radmall said...

I love that book! My mom gave it to me and I agree, it is really a pick me up. She has some really great insights. Thanks for sharing-you mother of two to be soon. Very soon!

Anonymous said...

Okay...I need to borrow it from you! I need a mommy-uplift! :) Maybe Jeff should read it next... :)

Alicia said...

I'm not one for non-fiction either, but I may need to check this out. I could use a lift some days.
btw, those pics of you jumping on the beds are hilarious!

Krista Hansen said...

I love this book too! I read it frequently and it seems to relate and boost me up every time. Can't wait to see the next Garner!!!

Brandon, Emily & Sydney Wilson said...

I have that book and have enjoyed it likewise. We aren't "just moms" and it is great to be reminded of our most noble calling and role in this life. Thanks for sharing!

Leah said...

Sounds like this book is right up my alley right now! Being a mother is hard work! ;)